Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Homemade Fabric Softener


While doing some online "research", I came across this "recipe" for homemade fabric softener.  Curious, I decided to give it a go and see what happened.

I must admit I am very pleasantly surprised at how well this works.  No static cling to speak of and no chemically sweet floral scent - which tends to give me a headache and sometimes seems to give my clothes a "coated", non clean feel.

Homemade Fabric Softener

1 cup baking soda
6 cups distilled white vinegar
8 cups water
10 -15 drops essential oils (optional)

You will need a one gallon container - I used an empty distilled water gallon bottle.

In a large bucket, place the baking soda.
Next add 1 cup of water to start with and stir.
Slowly add the vinegar  - as the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz.
Then add the rest of the water stirring it around a few times.
Last add the essential oil, if using, and stir again.

Transfer the fabric softener to your 1 gallon container.  It is now ready to use.  Add 1/2 to 1 cup to your final rinse cycle for each load but give the bottle a good shake to stir up the essential oil if using.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'll have to remember this.